Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Small Island Psychology

Imagine being raised in such a place that when you meet someone, they already know your history and your family heritage. Imagine a place that you do not even have a chance to make a mistake. Just imagine that being in such a place that you live for the other people's expectations, not yours, not at all! Seems funny, but all of the things mentioned here are true. I have been living in such a place for 20 years but now I refuse to live there because I am not doing anything but limiting myelf.
The people living in this small island act in the herd behaviour. There are certain beliefs and ideas that everyone has to believe in, or you get discriminated because you are different. I know that in the rest of the world the situation is not much different, but since I was 15, I have been in a war inside myself. To follow the herd or to follow what I really believe in. It started with dying my hair in 5 different colours in a year and not caring about what anyone said about it. I became to known as a freak, but I was just looking for my real self, I was only a teenager. Since then, I have been experimenting with people, how they react to being different, they really don't like it. But why? What is that scares them so much? Difference? 
If you say your ideas out loud, you get judged. You must be a communist or a capitalist or else you are stupid. You get judged by what you wear and what you drive. Everyone acts like racing horses, who owns what. The community is so assimilated that they do not know why they are even doing the things they are doing. Sex is a big issue. Everyone has sex, but it is not something to be talked about. This is because before the minds became familiar with the idea of it, people became very active at it.
Now, being away I couldn't be happier. I don't even miss it. I can be myself and known as I am and not be judged.  

No comments:

Post a Comment